Located 6 miles from Blackduck, MN, Camp Rabideau, is one of three Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camps being preserved throughout the United States. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. President Franklin D. Roosevelt established the CCC in 1933 to "revitalize the economy and end the depression." It was ended in 1941. The program provided jobs and training for over 270,000 men in projects such as building roads, trails, bridges, tree planting, camp and picnic ground development, etc. Evidence of the CCC bridge and stone work is still visible in many parts of the country, especially in National Forest campgrounds and roads leading to them.
Click on a thumbnail to load the full image.
|Return to Chippewa National Forest pictures|